SMELL GREAT, FEEL GREAT!
2017-08-03 | 924 Views
Bad body odor can be described as an unpleasant smell which results from the breakdown of sweat into aromatic fatty acids by bacteria on the skin. Contrary to general opinion, sweat itself does not smell but serves as a very conducive culture for the bacteria that live on the skin.
An individual's body odor can be affected by food/drink, genetics, medication, etc. People who are obese, as well as individuals with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, are more likely to develop body odor. More factors that may induce body odor include stress, infections like athlete’s foot and regular alcohol consumption. Body odor becomes more noticeable from puberty, if adequate hygiene measures are not taken.
Smelling good is vital for building self-confidence and maintaining a good image of oneself. Some studies also suggest that, in addition to dressing properly and comporting yourself appropriately, how you smell can have a positive or negative impact on your daily activities and interpersonal relationships.
Noting all these, it is important to follow the tips outlined below.
* Watch your diet. Consumption of spicy foods containing garlic, ginger, onions and the likes, if not well controlled, can lead to bad body odor.
* Shower at least twice daily with soap and bathing sponge (especially for people living in the tropics), paying special attention to your armpits, groin and feet.
* Clean shaving hairy areas like the armpit and pubic hairs regularly can help reduce the surface area for sweat to adhere to, and thus reduce the breeding ground for bacteria.
* Regularly change and thoroughly wash clothes that come in contact with sweaty areas such as socks, underwear and shirts. Sweaty clothes can serve as breeding ground for bacteria and fungi.
* Good antibacterial/antiseptic bathing soaps also help reduce the effect of sweat-converting bacteria which cause bad body odor.
* Regular use of antiperspirants and deodorants can help reduce the amount of sweat your body produces while adding a pleasant fragrance that will boost your confidence.
* Drinking plenty of water will help ensure that you smell fresh and sweet.