BENEFITS OF EATING FISH
2019-07-19 | 105 Views
Fish is one of the healthiest foods needed for your body. This is because, it is packed with many essential nutrients especially protein. Fish can be cooked in various ways; grilled, fried or steamed. Adding fish to your diet on a regular basis will provide many health benefits by supplying your body with necessary nutrients and minerals, some of which are outlined in this article.
Proteins are very vital constituents of a healthy meal, and fish are mostly protein. Proteins are building blocks for cells, tissues and organs necessary for making enzymes, hormones and antibodies. They improve health by regulating blood pressure, controlling diabetes, and supporting psychological and cognitive functions.
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
This is one type of fat that is highly required for optimal health. There are a wide range of benefits your body derives from omega-3 fats; from healthy skin to better sleep. Also, omega-3 will improve your bone health and reduce fat in the liver. In addition, omega-3s help to prevent/control medical conditions such as mental disorders (like Alzheimer’s), cancers, chronic inflammation, metabolic syndrome, heart diseases and other autoimmune diseases, and may also help fight anxiety and depression, and promote eye health. For women, omega-3 alleviates menstrual pain and promotes the child’s brain health during pregnancy, and children with asthma and attention deficit/hyperactive disorder (ADHD) also benefit from omega-3.
• Vitamin D is essential for the growth, development and maintenance of healthy bones and teeth, and also for supporting the immune system, nervous system and the brain. Vitamin D aids management of sugar in the blood by regulating insulin levels, and helps with lung function as well as cardiovascular health.
• Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) which is needed for growth and overall good health helps the body break down carbohydrates, proteins and fats to produce energy, and allows oxygen to be used by the body.
Want to boost mineral intake? Start eating more fish because it is a great source for many minerals, these include: • Calcium and phosphorus, which are great for keeping your teeth and bones healthy, boosting energy, improving heart muscle and nerve function, etc.
• Zinc, which regulates immune function, aids learning and memory retention, helps in treating diarrhea and common cold, speeds healing of wounds, prevents age-related macular degeneration and chronic diseases, and improves fertility.
• Iron, which is an important component of hemoglobin (the substance in red blood cells that transports oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body).
• Iodine, which helps you maintain focus, is good for metabolism and thyroid function, protects against infection, radiation and hair loss, as well as safeguards your body from toxins, amongst others.
• Potassium, which supports blood pressure, cardiovascular health, bone and muscle strength, etc.