There are many health benefits of lemons, and it is popular as a cleansing agent. Some classify lemons as a 'super food', and that categorization is right for many reasons. Here are 10 reasons you should add lemon to your drinking water.
1. LEMONS BOOST THE IMMUNE SYSTEM. They are high in vitamin C (great for fighting cold) and potassium (good for stimulating brain/nerve functions and controlling blood pressure).
2. LEMONS BALANCE THE BODY'S pH. Lemon is one of the most alkaline foods around, so drinking lemon water every day will reduce your body's overall acidity. Note that the citric acid in lemon does not create acidity in the body once metabolized.
3. LEMONS SUPPORT WEIGHT LOSS. Lemon contains pectin fiber which helps to fight hunger cravings. Some studies show that people who maintain a more alkaline diet lose weight faster.
4. LEMONS AID DIGESTION. Lemon helps flush out unwanted materials and this aids the secretion of bile from the liver which plays an important role in digestion. Efficient digestion also reduces heartburn and constipation.
5. LEMON CLEARS THE SKIN. Lemon water purges toxins from the blood which helps keep your skin clear and helps decrease wrinkles and blemishes as well. Also, lemon extracts can be applied directly to scars to reduce their visibility.
6. LEMON FRESHENS YOUR BREATH. Not only this, but it can help relieve toothache and gingivitis. Note that citric acid may erode tooth enamel, so you should be careful not to drink too much lemon.
7. LEMON RELIEVES RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS. Warm lemon water helps get rid of chest infections and coughs. It's also helpful for people with asthma and allergies.
8. LEMON RELIEVES STRESS. Vitamin C is one of the first things depleted when you subject your mind and body to stress; more lemons equal more vitamin C and less stress.
9. LEMON HELPS KICK THE COFFEE HABIT. After a glass of hot lemon water in the morning, your body and mind will be alert, thereby removing the need to stock up on caffeinated coffee.
10. LEMON IS A NATURAL DIURETIC AND TOXIN REMOVER. Lemon cleanses your system the same way they clean your kitchen. Simply drinking hot lemon water will cleanse the blood, kidneys, bladder, and other organs so that your body can eliminate toxins more easily.
TIMING: While lemon water may be taken at any time of the day, it's best to take a glass first thing in the morning. Unlike coffee, which is loaded with diuretic caffeine, lemon water can re-hydrate your body within minutes of drinking it.
DOSAGE: Add 1 or 2 teaspoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice to a glass or cup of warm water. If the water is either too hot or cold, it may shock your system so early in the morning, so use water that is more or less your body temperature for your lemon water therapy.