10 ADVANTAGES OF TOMATOES IN YOUR DIET
2019-02-22 | 218 Views
Whether you consider the tomato a fruit or vegetable, the fact remains that it is a great addition to any meal. With an extensive list of essential vitamins and minerals contained in them, tomatoes are loaded with many health benefits. Available in about 3,000 species, this superfood adds flavor and great advantages to any meal.
1. Skin Looks Greater: Your skin needs collagen for strength and elasticity, and also for replacing dead or damaged cells. Biotin and Vitamin C in tomatoes enhances production of various proteins including collagen. Tomatoes also have lycopene, which protects the skin against damage from the sun.
2. Hair Gets Healthier: Taking tomato juice regularly will make your hair better by improving the texture and appearance. Its rich composition of iron and Vitamins A and K strengthens and revitalizes the hair, maintains color and adds shine.
3. Weight Stays Controlled: Low in fats, with zero cholesterol, tomatoes are ideal for weight control plans. Tomatoes can be eaten raw or added to other meals, and the stomach fills up faster on fewer calories because of the water and fiber in them.
4. Bones Become Stronger: Tomatoes contain calcium and Vitamin K, which strengthen and repair the bones, as well as magnesium which works with calcitonin (a hormone) to help the bones absorb calcium, and potassium which prevents calcium loss over time.
5. Eyes See Better: Tomatoes are a rich source of Vitamins A & C, lycopene, lutein, and beta- carotene. These are powerful antioxidants that protect the eyes against light damage, cataracts, night blindness and age-related macular degeneration.
6. You Sleep Better: Some studies show that increased levels of lycopene and Vitamin C in tomatoes promote better sleep. That means a salad with tomatoes, tomato juice or soup may be just what you need if you haven't been sleeping properly.
7. The Heart Works Better: Tomatoes have Vitamin B and potassium which help to flush sodium from the blood, reduce cholesterol and lower blood pressure. Properties like lycopene and Vitamins A & C work together to reduce risk of stroke and heart diseases.
8. Glucose Levels Are Optimized: Elevated blood sugar levels affect vital organs like the brain and kidneys. Tomatoes contain little carbohydrates and will help lower glucose levels in the blood. This also helps to prevent diabetes.
9. Reduces Risk of Cancer: Cooked tomatoes produce a high amount of lycopene, an antioxidant which slows the growth of cancerous cells. More lycopene works to reduce the risk of lung, colon, prostate and stomach cancer.
10. Strengthens Immune System: Tomatoes help to boost the body's immunity levels. The vitamins and antioxidants work to reduce stress and increase energy levels. Eating more tomatoes will help prevent or manage various ailments like gallstones, urinary tract infection, anemia, Alzheimer's disease, etc.